Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Board Game Madness 7/31 - Olympics Edition

I was on vacation last week, but back this week with another entry. The Olympics is gaming, right? Just more sports than sitting down and moving meeples...

Fun:
  • From the Spiel podcasters, a 43-minute video documentary on the manufacturing process of board games
  • Interested in opening a game store? I had been seriously toying with the idea about 6 or 7 years ago. Game owner Michael Bahr published his 5 biggest mistakes made by game store owners.
  • Pimp My Game: Someone made a custom Blood Bowl pitch that has blown everyone’s mind. It looks dangerous!
  • Pimp My Game II: If you want to replace your paper money in games, then feel free to order these industrial resource chips (glorified poker chips) from I Will Never Grow Up.
  • Good Eats: Settlers of Catan birthday cake
  • Funny geeklist featuring comments from the lowest raters of some of the most highly rated games. My favorite is Puerto Rico: “Played 4 times........annoying is the nicest thing I can come up with. Only way I play this again is if a table of swimsuit models asks me to join them.”
  • Fun “Name That Game” contest. Oh and I haven’t the foggiest idea on some of these!
  • Some fun board game title mashups. My favorite is “Kitty Admiral”, also “Monster for President”

New Games:

iOS:
  • Ticket to Ride: Europe Pocket (iPhone version) – hopefully they’ve fixed the notification issues that the original pocket has which makes online asynchronous play unmanageable
  • San Juan release beginning of August
  • CafĂ© International release end of July (wait, that’s today, isn’t it?)
  • Can’t Say That! (a.k.a. Taboo) released
  • Sixes (a.k.a. Quirkle) released
  • Pandemic in development
  • Race for the Galaxy in development
  • Through the Ages due September
  • Age of Industry due 2013
  • Dominion in Alpha testing
  • Alien Frontiers kickstarter funded and game due in August (?)
  • Agricola due this fall
  • Eclipse in development
  • 7 Wonders in development

News:
  • Geek and Sundry (Felicia Day and Wil Wheaton) have teamed with Target stores to feature TableTop games in Target with a sticker saying “As Seen On…”. This is pretty amazing for a fledgling Google investment.
  • For those familiar with the TED talks hosted by Google, Spoiled Flush Games recently gave a talk about board games. I have not had a chance to preview it yet though, so I don’t know how good it is.
  • The Games in Education Symposium is going to be in Troy NY this week

Recently Played:

Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment