Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Board Game Madness 1/3

Happy New Year everyone!

This is the time of resolutions, so of course as people set goals to lose weight (check), clean their house (check), pay more attention to their family (er… um… check?), I of course want to log a couple of gaming resolutions:

1. Economy being what it is, the pace of game purchasing has slowed down to a trickle. So, my goal is to play more of the games that really have hit it in either my or my friends collections. I’ve even started with an awesome game of Power Grid on New Year’s Day!
2. Get a few new people into the hobby. Or at least into more of the “designer games”. Got friends into Ticket to Ride and talked up Space Alert to budding gamer who will buy it immediately.
3. Let other people pick games more often. Sometimes in bringing games over to people’s houses, I determine the direction of what games are played. Other people’s games are just as good as… well maybe they aren’t [insert smiley here], but it’s still the nice thing to do.

Anyway, here’s the regular sections of the weekly blog with a new section of what I played this week.

Fun:

New Games:

iOS:
  • The app store has been closed for the last couple of weeks so about all that’s happened is some price shifting. I picked up Medici for .99 which some friends and I went nuts on on New Year’s Day.

News:
  • So after my “tirade” about Kickstarter a few weeks ago, they released that they’ve funded $2mm in game-related projects this year. According to Purple Pawn, “110 board game, card game, dice game and [Role Playing Game] projects were successfully funded in 2011.” Of course, there’s much more than games on Kickstarter, but this is quite an accomplishment.
  • Also from my friends at Purple Pawn, the Top 10 Game News Stories of 2011

Gaming log:
  • A friend of mine brought over his holiday present this year: The Ares Project. Considering I had a hand in the recommendation (uninformed though), I was interested. We played the basic and it was interesting. I’d definitely give it another play, but I found the card design extremely confusing
  • New Year’s party was awesome, played the beginning of a Pandemic game (had to vacate due to hosting duties), Ticket to Ride, Dominion, and Elder Sign. Then played Rock Band for the rest of the night – always fun!
  • Power Grid on New Year’s Day. Would have won too, if it weren’t for those pesky kids… er… $4 short for that 18th city to light up.


Happy New Year and Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment